Sunday, August 30, 2015

Cedarwood Hazelnut Facial Scrub

Who else gets excited when they're able to reuse materials instead of putting them directly into the trash? I find it invigorating! Speaking of invigorating, this facial scrub is rather invigorating. It utilizes used coffee grounds and cedarwood essential oil. I found a recipe on Wellness Media's blog (which actually lists ten great uses for used coffee grounds), and I kept two ingredients, and changed the rest. I think that what I came up with is a real winner!

I used to use a microdermabrasion scrub from a very well-known makeup company. It was expensive and the recommendation was to use it every 2-3 days. My facial scrub just needs to be used about once a week for silky smooth and fresh, clean feeling skin! It's a few dollars worth of supplies to invest and will last a good six months or so. I was honestly pleasantly surprised with how wonderful my skin felt after just the first use. I thought maybe I'd start feeling like I needed to use it again in well less than a week, but I really don't! I use the facial scrub every Sunday and I use my homemade facial cleanser (recipe can also be found on my blog) every day, sometimes twice a day. Between the two products, my skin is feeling much smoother and cleaner throughout the week. I start to notice slight changes by Friday or Saturday in my skin which help remind me to use the scrub on Sunday.

I'll admit that when I started storing my husband's used coffee grounds, he was a little suspect. I told him NOT to throw these away; I'm saving them for something. At that point, he just kinda realizes that he's used to me doing some strange things with my passion for reusing and making my own homemade products around the house. He didn't ask questions, he let the stockpile of coffee grounds accumulate over the next week or so. In the meantime, I figured out what ingredients I would choose to use.

My son has a coconut allergy (and an all nut allergy), so I knew that the ever trendy and popular coconut oil needed to not make its way onto the ingredient list. I began looking for an oil that was solid at room temperature and liquid when heated. I discovered palm oil and shortening. I didn't like the idea of just using shortening, so I looked into palm oil. I quickly learned of the controversies surrounding palm oil farming and harvesting. Sadly, rain forests and wildlife are being destroyed to make room for palm trees in which to harvest palm oil. I was fortunate to come across a brand that is organic, certified fair trade, and non GMO verified, and habitat friendly. It was Red Palm Oil by Nutiva.

So, what is red palm oil? It is not palm kernel oil, it's derived from the fruit. The red palm oil is only 50% saturated fat while the kernel oil is upwards of 89% saturated. Red palm oil contains beta-carotenes and lycopene which are rich in antioxidant nutrients; more than carrots or tomatoes! This seemed like a great choice for my facial scrub, not to mention a nice buttery substitute in other recipes so I actually consume the oil. If you wish to read more about red palm oil, I suggest this article written by Dr. Oz.

The next ingredient listed was organic brown sugar. I looked for this and I honestly had a tough time finding it, but something that was readily available and cheap was raw turbinado sugar. I opted for that.

The ingredients I kept from the original recipe was epsom salt. I love me some epsom salts! I also kept the used coffee grounds, but I opted for hazelnut coffee just because I think the smell is rich and luxurious.

I added the ingredient, cedarwood essential oil. This wasn't my first choice. My first consideration was lemon oil because its smell is fresh and fruity. I discarded that idea because I felt that the scent would not blend well with hazelnut. My next choice was the blend Joy because it's a flowery and beautiful scent and a wonderful way to start the day, but again, I didn't feel that would blend well with the smell of coffee. My next ideas were bergamot and cedarwood. Based solely on scent, I would have chosen bergamot. It's that deep, sensual smell that gives Earl Grey tea its unique flavor. I used my essential oil reference book to compare the actual chemical benefits of each oil.

Bergamot boasts calming effects and can be used for hormonal support and has a calming, comforting aroma. Historically, bergamot has been used in the Middle East for skin conditions consistent with an oily complexion. The key constituents in bergamot include limonene and linalyl acetate. As you can see, this easily would have been a great choice and I certainly do suggest you try it especially if you have oily skin and struggle with feelings of depression or anxiety. I personally use bergamot itself to settle myself when I'm feeling anxious.

Cedarwood is recognized for its calming and purifying aroma. It can be used to support health. It can stimulate the limbic region of the brain and stimulate the pineal gland, which releases melatonin. It has constituents such as himachalene, which make it great for a facial scrub. I opted for cedarwood in the facial scrub. Let's say it was a very close call.

By now, I'm sure only a select few of you have actually read my giant monologue about each of the ingredients, while most have scrolled down to the good stuff: the recipe! Well, here it is folks!

Ingredients:
1 cup raw red palm oil (preferably sustainably grown)
1 cup used hazelnut coffee grounds
1/3 cup epsom salt
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
20-30 drops essential oil (cedarwood, bergamot, or a combination of both)

Mix all the ingredients together and then store in an air-tight container.

Use about 1-2 tablespoons once a week. The recipe filled two and a half of the little jelly canning jars pictured, which is why I project it will last up to 6 months. The only problem with that is, what to do with the coffee grounds in the meantime? Pull back and secure your hair, and wear an old shirt. The red palm oil will be, well, redish orange-ish and it will stain!

Scrub and gently rub the facial scrub onto your face for 2 minutes. Rinse with cool water. I have to keep a rag nearby to wipe the remaining oil off my face because it won't come off easily. I also use it to wipe down the sink. Enjoy the smooth skin feeling all week long!

No comments:

Post a Comment